Phone: (352) 392-9299
Office: MBI L4-181
Education and Training/Previous Appointments
Dr. Raizada has been a biomedical researcher and educator for 25 years. He received his Ph.D from the University of Kanpur, India and performed dissertation research at the Central Drug Research Institute, India. After post-doctoral training at the Medical College of Wisconsin, and Lady Davis Institute, Montreal, Dr. Raizada joined the Department of Physiology and Biophysics, University of Iowa as an assistant professor in 1979. He moved to the University of Florida in 1981 as an associate professor.
Dr. Raizada is a leader in the field of neural control of cardiovascular functions and has pioneered physiological genomic techniques to investigate the involvement of the renin-angiotensin system in cardiopulmonary disease.
His most significant contribution has been the demonstration that angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) and vasoprotective axis of the RAS plays a critical role in maintaining a normal cardiovascular homeostasis, and is poised to be a better therapeutic target for the next generation of antihypertensives.
Dr. Raizada has published 269 peer-reviewed papers, 44 review articles, edited ten books, and has been and continues to be an invited speaker at national and international meetings. He has received uninterrupted funding for his research program primarily from the NIH. Dr. Raizada is a recipient of numerous prestigious awards including Young Scientist Medal from the Indian National Science Academy, Established Investigator Award from the American Heart Association, Losartan Award from Merck & CO, Outstanding Research Award from Sigma Xi, Florida Chapter, UFRF Professorship, MERIT award from the NIH and Ranbaxy Award for Outstanding Research in Biomedical Science. He has been a regular member of the NIH study sections (ECS, HM, and VCMB) for the last 9 years and is in the editorial boards of many high quality scientific journals.
- ACE2 Commentary on Pulmonary Hypertension: http://www.atsjournals.org/doi/abs/10.1164/rccm.201301-0133ED#.VdYlj30yj7I
- Physiology of the Circulation of Blood (GMS6410)
- Advanced Topics in Hypertension Research (GMS6413)
- Medical Endocrine and Reproductive Physiology (GMS6419)
Awards and Honors
- 2015: Dr. Mohan K. Raizada: Lifetime Achievement Award for Faculty in the College of Medicine at the University of Florida.
- 2014: Dr. Mohan K. Raizada: Carl Ludwig Distinguished Lectureship, presented by the American Physiological Society.
- 2013: Dr. Mohan K. Raizada: Arthur C. Corcoran Memorial Lecture by the American Heart Association’s Council for High Blood Pressure. This honor is given each year to a distinguished researcher in the field of hypertension.
AHA’s Scientific Sessions- 2018; November 10-12, Chicago, IL
- Dr. Ravindra Sharma: Best Abstract, Title “Protective Role of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme-2 (ACE2) in Pulmonary Hypertension”.
Council on Hypertension Scientific Session- 2018; September 6-9, Chicago, IL
- Dr. Aline C. Oliveira: Best Poster Award, Title “Altered Brain-Gut-Lung Axis in Hypoxia-Induced Pulmonary Hypertension”.
- Dr. Ravindra Sharma: New Investigator Award, Talk on “Protective Role of Angiotensin Converting Enzyme-2 (ACE2) in Pulmonary Hypertension”.
Experimental Biology Meeting- 2018; April 21-25, San Diego, CA
- Dr. Aline C. Oliveira: Oral Presentation, Title “Protection against hypoxia-induced pulmonary hypertension in CX3CR1-deficient mice correlates with decreased microglia activation”.
Other 2018 Awards
- Dr. Aline C. Oliveira: McKnight Brain Institute Training Enhancement Opportunity (TEO) Grant
- Dr. Tao Yang: 2018 McKnight Brain Institute Research Fellowship Award
Council on Hypertension Scientific Session- 2016; September 14-17, Orlando, FL
- Colleen Jeffery: New Investigator Award, Paper on “Genetically Modified Probiotics for Oral 9 Delivery of Angiotensin-(1-7) Confers Protection Against Pulmonary Hypertension”.
- Colleen Jeffery and Mohan Raizada et. al.: News release by the AHA on their work on genetically modified probiotic for oral delivery of Ang-(1-7) for the treatment of pulmonary hypertension. Link to news release: http://newsroom.heart.org/news/genetically-modified-probiotic-may-one-day-treat-pulmonary-hypertension?preview=37a8
- Yanfei Qi: American Foundation for Hypertension Research and Education (AFHRE) Travel Award, Paper on “Low Dose Minocycline Lowers BP and Improves Inflammatory Status in Patients with Treatment Resistant Hypertension”.
- Yanfei Qi: Best Poster Award, Title “Hypertension Is Associated With Profound Pathological Changes In The Gut”.
- Seungbum Kim: Best Poster Award, Title “Butyrate, a Microbial Metabolite, Attenuates Angiotensin II-induced Hypertension and Gut Dysbiosis”.
International Society of Hypertension, Hypertension Seoul 2016, September 24-29
- Mohan K Raizada: Invited Speaker, Title “Neuro-immune communication in hypertension: a new therapeutic angle?
- Seungbum Kim: Travel Grant to present his paper “Microbial metabolite, butyrate attenuates angiotensin II-induced hypertension and dysbiosis”.
- Seungbum Kim: Best Oral Presentation – Basic Science award for his paper “Microbial metabolite, butyrate, attenuates angiotensin II-induced hypertension and dysbiosis”.
- Oliveira, A. C., Sharma, R. K., Aquino, V., Lobaton, G., Bryant, A. J., Harrison, J. K., Richards, E. M., & Raizada, M. K. (2018). Involvement of Microglial Cells in Hypoxia-induced Pulmonary Hypertension. American journal of respiratory cell an molecular biology, 59(2), 271-273. doi: 10.1165/rcmb.2018-0042LE. (PMID: 30067089; PMCID: PMC6096340)
- Waleijko, J. M., Kim, S., Goel, R., Handberg, E. M., Richards, E. M., Pepine, C. J., & Raizada, M. K. (2018). Gut microbiota and serum metabolite differences in African Americans and White Americans with high blood pressure. International journal of cardiology, 271, 336-339. doi: 10.1016/j.ijcard.2018.04.074.. (PMID: 30049487; PMCID: PMC6143419)
- Sharma, R. K., Oliveira, A. C., Kim, S., Rigatto, K., Zubcevic, J., Rathinasabapathy, A., Kumar, A., Lebowitz, J. J., Khoshbouei, H., Lobaton, G., Aquino, V., Richards, E. M., Katovich, M. J., Shenoy, V., … Raizada, M. K. (2018). Involvement of Neuroinflammation in the Pathogenesis of Monocrotaline-Induced Pulmonary Hypertension. Hypertension, 71(6), 1156-1163. doi: 10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.118.10934. (PMID: 29712738; PMCID: PMC5945302)
- Rathinasabapathy, A., Horowitz, A., Horton, K., Kumar, A., Gladson, S., Unger, T., Martinez, D., Bedse, G., West, J., Raizada, M. K., Steckelings, U. M., Sumners, C., Katovich, M. J., … Shenoy, V. (2018). The Selective Angiotensin II Type 2 Receptor Agonist, Compound 21, Attenuates the Progression of Lung Fibrosis and Pulmonary Hypertension in an Experimental Model of Bleomycin-Induced Lung Injury. Frontiers in physiology, 9, 180. doi:10.3389/fphys.2018.00180. (PMID: 29636695; PMCID: PMC5881224)
- Richards, E. M., & Raizada, M. K. (2018). ACE2 and pACE2: A Pair of Aces for Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension Treatment? American journal of respiratory and critical care medicine, 198(4), 422-423. doi: 10.1164/rccm.201803-0569ED. (PMID: 29634285; PMCID: PMC6118027)
- Kim, S., Goel, R., Kumar, A., Qi, Y., Lobaton, G., Hosaka, K., Mohammed, M., Handberg, E. M., Richards, E. M., Pepine, C. J., … Raizada, M. K. (2018). Imbalance of gut microbiome and intestinal epithelial barrier dysfunction in patients with high blood pressure. Clinical science (London, England : 1979), 132(6), 701-718. doi:10.1042/CS20180087. (PMID: 29507058; PMCID: PMC5955695)
- Wang, L. A., de Kloet, A. D., Smeltzer, M. D., Cahill, K. M., Hiller, H., Bruce, E. B., Pioquinto, D. J., Ludin, J. A., Katovich, M. J., Raizada, M. K., … Krause, E. G. (2018). Coupling corticotropin-releasing-hormone and angiotensin converting enzyme 2 dampens stress responsiveness in male mice. Neuropharmacology, 133, 85-93. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropharm.2018.01.025. (PMID: 29360543; PMCID: PMC5858993)
- Cole-Jeffrey, C. T., Pepine, C. J., Katovich, M. J., Grant, M. B., Raizada, M. K., & Hazra, S. (2018). Beneficial Effects of Angiotensin-(1-7) on CD34+ Cells From Patients With Heart Failure. Journal of cardiovascular pharmacology, 71(3), 155-159. doi: 10.1097/FJC.0000000000000556. (PMID: 29140957; PMCID: PMC5839943)
- Zubcevic, J., Santisteban, M. M., Perez, P. D., Arocha, R., Hiller, H., Malphurs, W. L., Colon-Perez, L. M., Sharma, R. K., de Kloet, A., Krause, E. G., Febo, M., … Raizada, M. K. (2017). A Single Angiotensin II Hypertensive Stimulus Is Associated with Prolonged Neuronal and Immune System Activation in Wistar-Kyoto Rats. Frontiers in physiology, 8, 592. doi:10.3389/fphys.2017.00592. (PMID: 28912720; PMCID: PMC5583219)
- Stevens, B. R., Goel, R., Seungbum, K., Richards, E. M., Holbert, R. C., Pepine, C. J., & Raizada, M. K. (2017). Increased human intestinal barrier permeability plasma biomarkers zonulin and FABP2 correlated with plasma LPS and altered gut microbiome in anxiety or depression. Gut, 67(8), 1555-1557. (PMID: 28814485; PMCID: PMC5851874)